Option to buy land and property: extension of term; subject to conditions
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this option agreement
Using an option agreement to buy land or property for development allows a buyer to minimise risk, whilst at the same time providing the seller with a payment regardless of whether the buyer exercises the option. It can help incentivise a property owner to cooperate in securing the future event the developer is seeking and, depending on the sale price agreed, let the buyer buy at a discount to future market value.
However, sometimes the future event that increases the value of the property doesn’t occur as quickly as originally envisaged. In these situations, often the option expires and the option holder loses the right to buy. This template mitigates against this risk by giving the option holder the right to extend the option exercise term at any point in return for an additional payment to the seller.
When to use this option agreement
This template differs from others Net Lawman offers in that the extension of the option exercise period lasts until an agreed event happens. The buyer may be concerned that a fixed extension period may be quite impossible to calculate. The only way he can cover himself is to have an extension as long as one or more conditions may be outstanding.
In this way the seller receives more money in return for extending the term, but the buyer does not have to put out more money than necessary to secure the deal in circumstances where he may not be able to control the timing of events.
You might use this agreement for buying land or buildings with a view to development before:
- local government has decided to build infrastructure (such as a new road or rail link) in the area
- a company has decided to create a new distribution centre nearby, creating jobs in the area
- a geological or archaeological survey has been completed
This agreement can be used for securing an option on any type of land and/or buildings, and with a view to buying the property for any reason.
These might include:
- house building
- redevelopment of light industrial buildings
- refurbishment of offices
The document also includes an exercise letter template, which can be used by a buyer to exercise the option before the expiry date stated within the agreement.
Property options are an area of law in which Net Lawman specialises. You can find our complete range of templates at: Property option agreements.
Option agreement application and features
- Sets out a clear and logical pathway for exercise of the option
- All variables are clear and in one place
- Suitable for a variety of land types and situations
- Includes an exercise letter template
- Comprehensive sale contract is based on the Agreement for Sale and Purchase of Real Estate (Ninth Edition) published by the Auckland District Law Society.
- User friendly: includes invaluable user notes to guide you through to successful execution
- All the variable matters in one place for ease of completion
- The essence of the agreement
- Calculation of price or additional price or extended option
- Provision for buyer to nominate the purchase to someone else
- Buyers warranties
- Sellers warranties as to the current planning status of the land
- A director’s guarantee, in case the seller is a company
- Inclusion of any unregistered rights over adjacent land
- A separate notice letter to exercise the option
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
"I have found Net Lawman perfect for my needs and saved me thousand of dollars in legal fees getting a lawyer to produce these douc's from scratch. I have used three of the Net Lawman doc's to basically write up the NDA, contract, Non Solicitation agreements to a level of being 95% complete and then used my lawyer to sign off. My lawyer even commented how complete these doc's are.
Thanks guys, great service/product.
Cheers Dean"Dean Harper
"I used Netlawman to pre-work some contracts for my lawyer. He came back stating that the forms were 'excellent' and saved me several billable hours."Chris T.
"I appreciate your patience. I have to say though it took me a while (I had almost given up) to come across your internet site, but I was quite impressed with the manoverabilty of the site itself and the services it offers. Normally I am very cautious about internet services and am pleasantly impressed by you professional response. Without doubt I will definitely be recommending yourselves to others."Razwana