Directors service agreement (employment contract)
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this directors service agreement
Today a company is under a statutory obligation to provide written terms of employment to a director, as to any other employee. It is advantageous to both sides to set down the package in an employment contract (for director's, also known as a director's service agreement), rather than in just a few words from the company.
This director's service agreement provides a complete legal and practical framework for any executive director. It covers all the requirements for an employment contract of a board member as well as clarifying the relationship between the company and the director so as to prevent conflicts of interest. The service contract is particularly strong on the protection of confidentiality and company secrets.
The service agreement is flexible and can be used whether:
- the term of employment is fixed or running;
- the organisation is a company, charity or NGO (in the case of the latter two, the employee will be director level equivalent);
- All common perquisites such as salary and benefits are also covered. Use of plain English makes editing easy and allows it to be understood by all parties.
This document provides a balance between protection for the director and for the company. If there is a difference in interests, we have favoured the company. Some of these provisions are required to comply with the law. The explanatory notes, which come with these documents, will guide you as to the importance of specific issues.
Account has been taken in this contract of:
- the employment rights of executive director's are the same as other employees, but there is an additional need to regulate the relationship between the director and the organisation;
- Recommendations of Department of Labour.
When to use this directors service agreement
- Appropriate for any director (including a Managing Director, CEO or Chairman) of any company
- Can also be used for charities and NGOs where the level of senior management is equivalent to the director's of a company
- Can be used for an employed part-time director
Employment contract features and contents
- Protects the board from criticism
- Protects the company from claims both before an Industrial Tribunal and in court
- Protects the director from unreasonable demands
- Up to date with the latest changes in company law
- Provides a "shopping list" of possible director perquisites
- Helps the company to comply with employment regulations
- Includes principal provisions of the Employment Relation Act
- All standards terms provided by the Department of Labour(provision of which is a legal requirement)
- Strong on protection of employer's confidential information
- Structured so as to minimise the administrative burden of legal compliance
The director's service agreement comprises 30 paragraphs and a schedule:
- Start and continuity;
- Job title and description;
- Place and hours of work;
- Leave for holidays and other reasons;
- Sickness or other absence;
- Health insurance;
- Liability insurance;
- Company car;
- Director's responsibilities;
- Other business and employment;
- No competition;
- Intellectual property;
- Staff handbook and company policies;
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures;
- Termination (of employment or fixed term);
- Arrangements during notice period;
- Procedure after termination;
- Summary termination;
- Reconstruction or amalgamation;
- Data protection;
- Severance and invalidity;
- Schedule: Bonus system.
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
"I have found Net Lawman perfect for my needs and saved me thousand of dollars in legal fees getting a lawyer to produce these douc's from scratch. I have used three of the Net Lawman doc's to basically write up the NDA, contract, Non Solicitation agreements to a level of being 95% complete and then used my lawyer to sign off. My lawyer even commented how complete these doc's are.
Thanks guys, great service/product.
Cheers Dean"Dean Harper
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor! "John K
"I found the documents easy to use and great value. I feel the service is easy to use and good value for money"Sean McNicholas