Contract for services: self employed contractors
Contract for a self employed person engaged in any kind of work. Emphasises his self employed status.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
For thousands of self employed people this document will be presented to a new client as “my contract”. For any business using self employed people it provides the essential starting point for the relationship.
Although the agreement clothes the transaction with all the characteristics of self employment, simply using one of these contracts will not necessarily avoid the relationship of employer and employed. Both the Inland Revenue and any industrial tribunal will be entitled to look behind the agreement at the reality of the contract. Some of the questions they might ask are:
- Is this the contractors only work or does he work for others too?
- Does the client control how the work is done?
- Are the hours fixed by the client or can the contractor choose when he works?
- Does the contractor work on the clients premises, using the client's equipment?
- To what extent is the contractor at risk as a self employed person?
- Is self employment normal for this kind of work?
This contract for services document is suitable for
- A self employed person, in any field, who does not do work which you would describe as “consultancy”. Instead, you may be a gardener, a horse trainer, a builder or a yacht repairer;
- A “client” requiring a contract to set out trading terms with a consultant or self employed person;
- A business using self employed people.
Application and features
- “Over-arching” agreements designed for ongoing use to cover a series of assignments
- Consultant to work from home or office
- Very flexible to suit the requirements of either or both parties
- Provides a complete framework
- Protects both sides
- Reduces the chances for employer obligations to arise
- Obligations of both parties
- Fees and expenses
- Duration and termination
- Matters after termination
- Intellectual property
- Appropriate legal provisions - warranties, exclusions, indemnities
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Steven Hoggard 12 April 2017
Great value for money, I found the explanatory notes easy to understand, explaining what areas to leave as is and what can be changed to suit your specific requirements.
By Andrew Hema 13 April 2015
The service was excellent but most of all the document I downloaded completely met my needs. I will be using your services again.
By David Miller 24 July 2014
Document tailored to NZ,Cost very reasonable,Plain language,Clear simple usage guide,Facilitates discussion between the parties on all the key issues.
By Rosemarie Nye 17 November 2017
Net lawman was unknown to me so there was a risk involved in what I would receive.
I often have to give general advice to clients around employment contracts and I like to feel confident that I stay up to date.
The layout was simple to understand and not too long or wordy. A good example to demonstrate that a contract for services/employment can be consise but still include all the requirements.
I haven’t used the document but retained it for reference purposes.
It’s a little early to consider recommending this website but it helped me and i have saved the website details for future reference.
"I have found Net Lawman perfect for my needs and saved me thousand of dollars in legal fees getting a lawyer to produce these douc's from scratch. I have used three of the Net Lawman doc's to basically write up the NDA, contract, Non Solicitation agreements to a level of being 95% complete and then used my lawyer to sign off. My lawyer even commented how complete these doc's are.
Thanks guys, great service/product.
Cheers Dean"Dean Harper
"I found the documents easy to use and great value. I feel the service is easy to use and good value for money"Sean McNicholas
"I have found the product exactly what I wanted and the notes helpful - as well as it being easy to locate, buy and download. There should be a better way of making your product more widely known. I have recently had experience of a tailor-made lease and this left a lot to be desired - whereas your product is well researched and ticks all the boxes."Ted