Sponsorship agreement: single event
This event sponsorship agreement sets out the commercial deal between an event organiser and a sponsor. It also provides for practical arrangements, such as rights of access prior to the event for the sponsor to setup, use of intellectual property by the sponsor in marketing, dedicated parking on the day for the sponsor's guests and provision of corporate hospitality areas.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this event sponsorship agreement
This event sponsorship contract is very flexible in the terms between the parties. The rights granted to the sponsor could be of any sort. We suggest common ones, such as advertising, product placement and preferential event access, hosting of corporate hospitality functions, and promotion on television or radio. These suggestions can be replaced or supplemented by the rights that you decide on.
The agreement also covers a number of practical considerations, such as the obligation of the organiser to ensure that the sponsor is able to setup advertising and stalls and has access to parking on the day.
The law in this agreement
The law in this document is common law, allowing you to set out whatever arrangement you choose to make.
It includes a number of legal matters to the advantage of both sides that might be left out of less comprehensive agreements, such as protection of intellectual property, assignment and rights to renew.
When to use this event sponsorship agreement
This event sponsorship agreement could be used for a diverse range of one-off events, from a single sports competition, where the sponsor receives advertising rights and a corporate hospitality suite in return for financial support, to a home improvements exhibition, where the sponsor receives additional or alternative rights such as the right to sell products from a stand or the right to advertise their position as a sponsor of the event on marketing material.
We have another agreement that may be more suitable for sponsorship of multiple events or a series (for example, a tournament or a tour of shows to different locations). See Event sponsorship agreement: tournament, league or series.
The document could be used by either the organiser or the sponsor, probably at first to explore the deal that could be done, and then as the legal contract. Either party could use the document as a definition of their terms and conditions or as a starting point for negotiations.
The document is suitable for:
- one-off events (although it also covers the right of renewal at subsequent events, for example, the next year);
- sporting events;
- shows (for example, concerts or theatre productions);
- fairs and exhibitions.
Agreement features and contents
- Warranties for authority
- Relationship of parties
- Entire agreement
- The venue owner
- Granting of sponsorship rights
- Sponsorship fee and payment
- Sponsorship rights granted
- Joint obligations
- Obligations of the sponsor
- Obligations of the organiser
- Protection of the intellectual property of the organiser: limits the sponsor as to how he uses the intellectual property of the event organiser in his own promotional material
- Right to renew: a valuable provision for the sponsor if the event turns out to be more successful than anticipated
- Consequences of termination
- Assignment: whether either side can transfer the rights to another party
- Miscellaneous matters
- Schedule 1: the event programme
- Schedule 2: corporate hospitality functions
- Schedule 3: services and products that the sponsor may sell at the event
- Schedule 4: industry sectors, product ranges and countries that the sponsor may promote
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
How other customers rated this document
Average customer rating
"I used Netlawman to pre-work some contracts for my lawyer. He came back stating that the forms were 'excellent' and saved me several billable hours."Chris T.
"I have found the product exactly what I wanted and the notes helpful - as well as it being easy to locate, buy and download. There should be a better way of making your product more widely known. I have recently had experience of a tailor-made lease and this left a lot to be desired - whereas your product is well researched and ticks all the boxes."Ted
"I needed an Agreement and Google, as always, was where I headed. I found the Net Lawman site and initially I thought I needed a relationship type Agreement but the Lodger one was absolutely perfect.
I didn't think it would be so easy so would recommend your website to anybody who was looking for an Agreement to suit their needs."Wendy Auger