Sponsorship agreement: sports person or other individual
This agreement provides a flexible framework for defining a sponsorship arrangement, regardless of the activity in which the sponsored person participates, their level of participation and the benefits to each party. The arrangement could be as simple as payment for advertising on clothing, or a more complex arrangement where the sponsored individual acts as a brand ambassador, product tester or content producer.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this sponsorship agreement
Individuals are sponsored for a variety of reasons and in many different ways. This sponsorship agreement has been drawn to be flexible and to cover many sponsorship situations without being difficult to complete.
A large part of the agreement covers the substance of the deal: what the sponsor will provide in return for the agreed obligations of the person being sponsored. We provide a range of examples to which you can add, edit or delete as appropriate.
The agreement also includes further legal paragraphs not usually included in such documents that protect both sides in case of later disagreement or non-fulfilment. These can also be edited to your requirements.
The agreement is governed by the laws of New Zealand, but the location of either party could be elsewhere. The agreement could, for example, be used by an New Zealand company to sponsor an Australian cricketer.
When to use this sponsorship agreement
This agreement will suit a large number of sponsorship arrangements.
- the individual being sponsored could be a participant in a sport or another activity (e.g. chess, poker or music)
- the sponsored person could be operating at any level, from amateur to international professional
- the sponsor could offer goods or services (their own or another company's) or money to the person being sponsored
- the obligations of the sponsored individual could include simple advertising (for example using equipment or wearing clothing with advertising printed on it), promoting the sponsor at events, product testing, writing articles for the sponsor's website, appearing in marketing material or anything else
- the contract could be for a specific period or on-going
The agreement includes the following paragraphs as well as other standard legals.
- warranties for authority
- relationship of parties
- granting of sponsorship rights
- sponsorship fee and payment
- sponsorship rights granted
- promotion of sponsored goods and services
- obligations of the sponsor
- obligations of the sponsored person
- joint obligations
- intellectual property: including use of trademarks by the sponsored person and ownership of works created for the sponsor by the sponsored person
- after termination
- uncontrollable events
- miscellaneous matters
- Schedule 1: scope of sponsorship rights: industry sectors, product ranges and countries
- Schedule 2: goods that will be provided to the sponsored person
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
How other customers rated this document
Average customer rating
By Glen Wallace 24 July 2016
A number of equestrian references were left in, so no completely geneneric. Some editing of grammar, catitalisations etc were required. Inconsistent formatting at times. Overall it was the words I was after so I copied all text and pasted into my own format. Good value and saved me a heap of time.
Net Lawman responds 07 August 2016
As explained in the introduction page, we have used equestrian references as an example. A buyer need merely substitute some other sport and the document fits. The terms are about the commercial deal, with options to suit any sport. We have been unable to find inconsistent formatting. We will provide a document in any common format if a customer asks.
"I used Netlawman to pre-work some contracts for my lawyer. He came back stating that the forms were 'excellent' and saved me several billable hours."Chris T.
"Compared to the costs quoted by our lawyers your service is an absolute bargain. We can now invest our money where it really matters!"Gary Morrison
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor! "John K