Contract for services: self employed contractors
Contract for a self employed person engaged in any kind of work. Emphasises his self employed status.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
For thousands of self employed people this document will be presented to a new client as “my contract”. For any business using self employed people it provides the essential starting point for the relationship.
Although the agreement clothes the transaction with all the characteristics of self employment, simply using one of these contracts will not necessarily avoid the relationship of employer and employed. Both the Inland Revenue and any industrial tribunal will be entitled to look behind the agreement at the reality of the contract. Some of the questions they might ask are:
- Is this the contractors only work or does he work for others too?
- Does the client control how the work is done?
- Are the hours fixed by the client or can the contractor choose when he works?
- Does the contractor work on the clients premises, using the client's equipment?
- To what extent is the contractor at risk as a self employed person?
- Is self employment normal for this kind of work?
This contract for services document is suitable for
- A self employed person, in any field, who does not do work which you would describe as “consultancy”. Instead, you may be a gardener, a horse trainer, a builder or a yacht repairer;
- A “client” requiring a contract to set out trading terms with a consultant or self employed person;
- A business using self employed people.
Application and features
- “Over-arching” agreements designed for ongoing use to cover a series of assignments
- Consultant to work from home or office
- Very flexible to suit the requirements of either or both parties
- Provides a complete framework
- Protects both sides
- Reduces the chances for employer obligations to arise
- Obligations of both parties
- Fees and expenses
- Duration and termination
- Matters after termination
- Intellectual property
- Appropriate legal provisions - warranties, exclusions, indemnities
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current New Zealand law.
How other customers rated this document
Average customer rating
By Andrew Hema 13 April 2015
The service was excellent but most of all the document I downloaded completely met my needs. I will be using your services again.
By David Miller 24 July 2014
Document tailored to NZ,Cost very reasonable,Plain language,Clear simple usage guide,Facilitates discussion between the parties on all the key issues.
"I used Netlawman to pre-work some contracts for my lawyer. He came back stating that the forms were 'excellent' and saved me several billable hours."Chris T.
"I needed an Agreement and Google, as always, was where I headed. I found the Net Lawman site and initially I thought I needed a relationship type Agreement but the Lodger one was absolutely perfect.
I didn't think it would be so easy so would recommend your website to anybody who was looking for an Agreement to suit their needs."Wendy Auger
"...Yes very useful. I understand the terminology etc as I've seen a fair few legal docs before. Notes are very helpful. Gives me some base insight without the expense of a solicitor! "John K